The only alarm organization in the State: CASIA members install, service, and monitor intrusion, fire, and supervisory detection systems (both residential and commercial) in accordance with Connecticut low-voltage licensing regulations and The National Electrical Code. Expanded services can include integrated structured wired systems for closed circuit television, telephone/intercom, home theater, access control and computer wiring.
Did you know that a home security system could save you money? Typically, insurance companies offer between 2% and 30% discount on a homeowners' policy. Ask your insurance agent which types of systems will qualify you for the greatest savings.
Use the following checklist when choosing an alarm company:
- Be sure that the installation company is a member of CASIA, a Charter State Association of the Electronic Security Association (ESA). Members agree to maintain a high level of conduct under a Code of Ethics and render services at the highest level of quality.
- Call more than one company. Schedule an appointment when all members of your household are present. When a security professional visits, ask to see company identification.
- Ask if their technicians are licensed C5, C6, L5, L6 or under the State apprentice program. A low-voltage electrical license is required to install security/fire alarm systems in Connecticut. A license is not required to sell.
- Under CT statutes a license number should appear on all company letterhead, contracts, business cards and vehicles. Ask if they screen employees before hiring.
- Have their technicians been trained and/or certified by the ESA/National Training School? (NTS).
- Does the company carry adequate insurance coverage including Errors & Omissions?
- Does the contract include a 3-day right of rescission clause mandatory for residential contracts?
- Review what equipment you will actually own, and what equipment, if any, will remain the property of the security company.
- Inquire about the Central Station that will be monitoring your account.
- If service is required on the system, how soon will a technician be sent to your premises?
- Ask for referrals.
CONTACT CASIA - 800-762-3099 (in CT) or 203-762-2444 - WITH QUESTIONS